Jun 27, 2008

The three day weekend

Or should that be the three-day weekend. Our style guru at the newspaper is rather idiosyncratic and thinks hyphens look inelegant. I tend to agree, but grammar is grammar. But I digress.

The three day weekend, with or without the hyphen, is upon me. And I'm off to New Delhi. It's only a three hour flight and I arrive at about 5am on Saturday and leave late Sunday night. Enough time to browse the markets and pick up some cheap sivler, books and clothes, have an Indian meal and some Kingfisher beers with our New Delhi correspondent; maybe throw in a little sightseeing at one of the sights I haven't yet seen and then arrive back in Abu Dhabi, refreshed and probably in need of a good sleep and a few gym sessions.

It's caused something of a stir at the office, only because dropping in to Delhi for the weekend, is just not something that sounds faesible. But that's the great thing about this place, there are so many countries just a few hours away.

Last time my three day weekend came around I drove to the east coast of Oman and spent two days diving. It was fantastic. Also on the list is Jordan, to the UNESCO sites of Petra and the Dead Sea; Yemen with its historical capital of Sana'a; Iran (my colleague there tells me she can take me to some great parties in Tehran); Israel, Turkey and Cyprus are not too far either and last month a colleague went to Ethiopia for 4 days.

Plus, there are all the other emirates I haven't seen yet - another six, including Dubai. So roll on the next three day weekend.

No comments: